County Treasurer Resources
Check back in the future for additional resources and updates!
The Role of a County Treasurer
The county treasurer serves as the county's banker, responsible for the safekeeping and investing of public funds. As the lawful custodian of county funds, this also includes the responsibility of receipt and disbursement of funds.
As a part of receipting, many county treasurers often receipt all current real and personal property taxes. County treasurers also issue receipts, vehicle decals and registrations, which helps facilitate the registration of boats, motors and vehicles with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
County treasurers also distribute county funds, which includes school system taxes and pass throughs from the state. Some county treasurers assist municipalities, special purpose districts and fire departments in the collection of their taxes and fees.
The South Carolina Treasurer’s Office works to ensure our local partners have all the resources necessary to best serve the Palmetto State. Please find below a sample of tools aimed to educate, train and assist county treasurers.
Other Helpful Links
- County Treasurer Digital Resources
- 2021 Holiday Schedule
- Municipal Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Association of Assessing Officials
- South Carolina Association of Auditors, Treasurers & Tax Collectors
- South Carolina Association of Counties
- South Carolina Association of School Administrators
- South Carolina Association of School Business Officials
- South Carolina School Boards Association
- South Carolina Secretary of State
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles
South Carolina Code of Laws
- Title 4, Chapter 10: Local Sales and Use Taxes
- Title 4, Chapter 11: County Officers
- Title 4, Chapter 12: Fees in Lieu of Property Taxes
- Title 8, Chapter 15: State and Local Officers and Employees Generally
- Title 11, Chapter 5: The State Treasurer
- Title 11, Chapter 7: The State Auditor
- Title 12, Chapter 39: County Auditors
- Title 12, Chapter 44: Fee In Lieu of Taxes Simplification Act
- Title 12, Chapter 45: County Treasurers and Collection of Taxes
- Title 12, Chapter 49: Enforced Collection of Taxes Generally
- Title 12, Chapter 51: Alternate Procedure for the Collection of Taxes
- Title 12, Chapter 56: Setoff Debt Collection Act
- Title 12, Chapter 60: Revenue Procedures Act
- Title 30, Chapter 1: Public Records, Reports and Official Documents